In this post, I want to specifically talk about communication. I believe these may or may not be communication quirks of people with Asperger's. This is based on what I've read, talked to my therapist about, and talked to other people with Asperger's about. There are also some in there that I've added that I am not sure about, but wonder. I'm going to be blunt as to give all information and details.
- I have a difficult time in conversations if the topic is not about something I like or am interested in. I greatly enjoy talking about topics of my liking, but struggle to converse with people about things they like.
- I hate small talk. Whenever I am engaged in a conversation that exists mostly of small talk, I am doing everything I can to think of a way to escape. Often I leave very abruptly.
- I can be and take things very literal at times
- I can be very long winded.
- I hate eye contact.
- Difficulty communicating thoughts in words, especially if anxious, stressed or upset. Often can type or write thoughts much better
- I talk too loudly or too softly in conversations.
- Not communication exactly, but in social situations my nervous system gets overwhelmed easily and that leads to withdrawal.
- I am the queen of non-sequiturs. I just have a really difficult time carrying on a conversation that is not about something I like.
I guess we'll see what the tests say on Sept 14th