I have been getting better at distracting my brain from intrusive thoughts. I woke up and immediately started feeling despair over death, and was able to refocus my thought quicker than I have been in past weeks. The real challenge will be when things are not going well for me, which is usually when I struggle the most. I'm trying hard to use my skills on a daily basis so they come naturally to me even in the worst of times.
- Scheduled a coffee date with an old friend from High School.
- Planned to go to my brother-in-law's birthday dinner on Sunday.
- Made a date for Friday.
Mindfulness/Other DBT Skills
- A student made a paper flower for me.
- Spent some time hanging out with the new roommate.
- Butted heads a bit with a co-worker who's very alpha, but I stood my ground and was proud.
- Someone I admire a lot said he was very impressed with my hula hooping.
If I'm being honest with myself, I've been down this road before, and this is how the cycle always begins. I am doing great, being independent, making progress. Then, something goes wrong. A job loss, a breakup, whatever; and it all falls apart. Or I meet and become obsessed with someone, and stop focusing on me. How am I going to sustain this? How is this time going to be different? These are the questions I always ask myself.