My therapist suggested I watch This TED Talk, and it really resonated with me. Here are some of the the points that I really connected with.
- The original meaning of courage means to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart.
- What makes you vulnerable is what makes you beautiful.
- Vulnerability is the birthplace of joy, creativity, and love. We can only open ourselves up to these if we fully embrace vulnerability.
- You cannot selectively numb emotions. When we try to block out sadness, regret, anger we also block out joy, happiness, compassion.
- We make the uncertain certain.
I'm a vulnerable person, I wear my heart on my sleeve and my emotions on my face. But you know what? That's what makes me, me. It what makes me able to love so intensely. I may feel everything stronger than the average person, but it just makes more compassionate, more driven, more loving.
You cannot selectively numb emotions.